Sunday, January 16, 2011

Recommended Book

I often get emails from students asking where to start when they want to improve their paintings.  I will try to list some recommended books from time to time here.

Composition is such an important element to making great paintings.  So my first recommendation will be Composition of Outdoor Painting, by Edgar Payne.  
















This book covers several types of compositions and gives great visual examples from several artists, besides Payne.  Though this book is geared towards outdoor painting, the composition principals apply to all types of subjects, from still life to figures.

A strong composition will help a good painting become a great painting.

1 comment:

Sara Winters said...

I love this book! I ended up buying it from the publishers several years ago because the only ones for sale on amazon at the time were priced around $300 and $400. Carlson's Guide to Landscape Painting is another good one.